Monday, September 1, 2008

Want to check out my teams?

I know you are intensely interested in my fantasy teams' rosters, so I thought I'd share them with you. I had two football drafts over the weekend - one in person, and one via phone while I was making a seven-hour drive from Columbus, Ga., to Bradenton. Luckily I wasn't behind the wheel at the time.

Here's my roster for the NITTANY LOINS in my 12-team, standard-scoring office league. I had the second overall pick:



QB Derek Anderson
QB Matt Schaub

I have some concerns regarding Anderson (Is he a flash in the pan? How's that concussion?) but at least 10 or 11 other QBs were already taken, so I had to roll the dice. Thought Schaub was pretty good insurance - I've got him ranked 14th among QBs.

RB Adrian Peterson
RB Larry Johnson
RB Brandon Jacobs
RB Chester Taylor

I couldn't pass up Peterson with the second overall pick. I'm usually looking for another RB with my second pick but decided to go receiver this time, so I was glad to see LJ still on the board in the third round - I had him ranked 11th. Obviously it's a creaky group so I decided to get another somewhat injury-prone but studly back (Jacobs) next. I filled out the position with Taylor, mostly as insurance for AP.

WR Reggie Wayne
WR Roy Williams
WR Roddy White
WR Reggie Brown

Went with Wayne in the second round after the elite receivers started getting scooped up. Very happy with Williams as a No. 2 and thrilled to get White later. I think Brown's got some potential, mostly by default since he'll be starting for the Eagles with Kevin Curtis hurt.

TE Tony Scheffler
TE Kevin Boss

Content with this group. Scheffler will be fine and Boss has some upside - though not Jeremy Shockey upside.

K Robbie Gould
K Brandon Coutou

I'm OK with these guys. Didn't reach for Gould but got him very late. Hoping Coutou can beat out Olindo Mare for the Seahawks job. Honestly, I didn't know who he was until about a week ago.

DEF Colts
DEF Eagles

I'm happy with these two, both of which I consider to be top-10.




Now, onto my other team, ACE IN THE HOLE, for which I've shared management duties with my dad for about six years now. It's two divisions of 10 teams (each division drafts separately), points-per-reception scoring and a $100 entry fee. In other words, it's pretty serious.

QB Ben Roethlisberger
QB Matt Hasselbeck

Easily the best QB tandem in our division. I consider Big Ben to be at the top of the second tier of QBs and Hasselbeck right below him. Couldn't believe Hasselbeck was still available in the 10th round (and made me regret taking Ben in the fifth) but I couldn't pass him up. One of them will probably be trade bait at some point, especially when we have the inevitable "star QB gets injured in Week 1" moment.

RB Adrian Peterson
RB Ryan Grant
RB Kevin Smith
RB Chester Taylor

As you can see, I'm on the Peterson bandwagon this year. Wasn't really planning on it - I had the third overall pick here, but Brian Westbrook went second (we're playing PPR scoring for the first time this year) after LaDainian Tomlinson. A lot of people seem down on Grant since he had such an unproductive camp, but I still like him as a No. 2, and I'm thrilled with Smith as a No. 3. And once again, I've got Taylor as insurance. Only problem is Peterson, Taylor and Grant all have the same bye week, so I'll be making a roster move before then I'm sure.

WR TJ Houshmandzadeh
WR Roy Williams
WR Laveranues Coles
WR Donte' Stallworth

I don't have too many worries about TJ or Williams. I like Coles a lot, assuming he clicks with Brett Favre. And I could see Stallworth going off with a big game here and there; it's just a matter of picking the right weeks to start him.

TE Tony Scheffler
TE Dustin Keller

Once again it's Scheffler (he better not let me down), and I reached a bit for Keller. But I like the kid as a sleeper, so it was the right move.

K Robbie Gould
K Jason Hanson

Gould again - it's weird how these things work out. And Hanson's a safe No. 2.

DEF Seahawks
DEF Bucs

I foresee a lot of turnovers from this tandem.

Photos by The Associated Press

No comments: