Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Kazmir coming back

Scott Kazmir's coming back this weekend, the Herald's Roger Mooney reports. Excited?

I'm not sure how to feel, honestly. I expected big things from the Rays lefty this year. Lots of strikeouts and a bunch of wins for the defending AL champions. But it didn't happen. He just didn't look right at the start of the year, but I still thought he'd straighten out. I swung a deal for him in late April straight up for Bobby Abreu. Then he proceeded to really tank before getting sent to the DL with a "quadriceps injury." Whether or not the injury was serious, it seemed like the Rays really just wanted him to go on a rehab assignment and fix his mechanics. And he has, and he's gotten his velocity back up, too.

We'll have to see if Kaz is really back to form. I'm not activating him against the Marlins this weekend. I want to see him cut down the walks and start blowing his fastball by some hitters the way he used to, and in the process whittle down that 7.69 ERA. If he can do that, he becomes a serious buy-low candidate, because the potential is still there.

No comments: