Monday, September 7, 2009

Draft recap No. 2

My second draft over the weekend was for a 10-team league I compete in with my brother and some of his friends. It's pretty much standard scoring, although a TD pass by a QB is worth 5 points for some reason instead of 6. The starting lineups are normal except for 1 flex position (RB or WR), and there are seven bench slots of any position. I had the third overall pick. Here's my squad (round of selection in parenthesis:

SARASOTA SPARTANS

QB Philip Rivers (4)

RB Michael Turner (1)
RB Marion Barber (2)

RB/WR LenDale White (6)

WR Greg Jennings (3)
WR Roy Williams (5)

TE Greg Olsen (9)

K Jason Elam (15)

DEF Jets (13)

BE DeSean Jackson (7)
BE Donald Brown (8)
BE Carson Palmer (10)
BE Ted Ginn Jr. (11)
BE Rashard Mendenhall (12)
BE James Davis (14)
BE Hakeem Nicks (16)

RANDOM THOUGHTS:
I was able to get Turner with the third pick after someone took Drew Brees with the first pick and Adrian Peterson went second. I'm not complaining. ...

The first two rounds were pretty running back-heavy so I felt I had to take Barber at that point with a lot of elite WRs still available. Very pleased to see Jennings still there in the third round. ...

I decided to go for a top QB in Round 4, and Rivers was a guy I was targeting. Really wanted to team him up with Vincent Jackson in the next round but Jackson was taken two spots before I picked. I begrudgingly settled for Roy Williams. ...

Wanted a middle-tier RB in Round 5, particularly Ray Rice, but he was gone by the time I picked. Settled for No-Longer-Fat LenDale. ...

The format of this league, with the open bench slots, really allows you to reach for sleepers with big upside. That's why I went for Donald Brown in the fifth round, Mendenhall in the 12th and James Davis in the 14th. I don't NEED them all to pan out, but if just one of the three becomes a star I'll be in good shape. ...

I like having two young No. 1 WRs (Jackson and Ginn) on my bench, especially since I don't trust Roy Williams that much as a starter. And I took a flier on Nicks, the Giants rookie, with my final pick. ...

Only two kickers had been taken by the time I took Elam, the No. 1 guy on my board.

No comments: